October 9, 2011

D.I.Y | Jewelry Display

I'm taking part in my first craft show at a Christmas Craft Show this November and wanted something to display some of my necklaces. I looked in different stores but either I couldn't find the style I wanted or the style I wanted was way too much. I finally decided I was going to make my own and though it was a bit challenging the price of supplies was half the price of any fancy one at the store.
Supplies:
  • 1-5/8 36"- Dowel Rod (You'll need it cut into one 10" piece)
  • 1-3/4 36"- Dowel Rod (You'll need it cut into two 13" piece)
  • 1-1x3x2 Board (You'll need it cut into one 12" piece)
  • Water Based Wood Stain
  • Acrylic Paint 
  • Clear Gloss Spray Paint *optional
  • Masking/Painters Tape (preferably with the thinner width)
  • 2 Foam Paint Brushes
  • Ruler
  • 1 1/2" Wood Screws
  • Sandpaper

Tools:
  • Electric Drill- with drill bit and screw option
  • Screw Driver *optional
You'll want to go to the hardware store and pick up the two dowels and board. If the store offers wood cutting let them know what sizes you need or you can buy a hand saw and miter box to cut at home. I picked out oak wood because it's has a beautiful natural grain but it is really hard to drill and cut.  
You'll want to go ahead and stain your wood dowels and board using the foam brush; let dry. Then take your masking or painters tape and tape out a zig zag or another pattern on the wood base. 
Take the other foam brush and paint over the top of the board and let dry. It took me about two coats of white to get the brightness I wanted.
Now here comes the math and measurement part.
You'll want to mark where you'll drill the holes in the dowels and where on the board you'll place them. You'll need to mark both entries and make sure everything lines up, it's kind of like doing a dry standing of what it's going to look like. I was in such a rush to get it done and didn't do as great of a job marking and measuring which made it take much longer to finish.
Once you finished this take your drill bit and drill the holes for your screws. Make sure you don't make it too big or too small for the wood screws. 
I found it easier to start with the base board and screw the 13" dowels into place. Then take the center piece and screw in each side. 
If you want a glossy finish use the clear gloss spray and let dry. 
There you have it! Your own jewelry display where you can show case your necklaces and jewelry.

Also I'm trying to save up for this Christmas Craft Show so I can buy supplies for jewelry and packaging. I had a enough to kind of kick start buying supplies for holiday pieces and packaging but I still need to purchase a few more items to make necklaces and also boxes to put jewelry in for customers. With that said all proceeds from Craft'n Bettie will go to help my efforts  :)

-Amber

7 comments:

  1. My mom and I made something similar to this when we were into making jewelry a few years back- very cute, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is super awesome! I am always looking for a better way to store my jewellery, I will definitely try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AH, your little necklace display stand is my life saver! I've been trying to figure out a way to display my necklaces for an upcoming an event and THIS is the best idea for I've been wanting! Something very simple looking that can stand on it's own-- I LOVE IT! :) And I already bought all the dowels since I was kind of going in this direction, just didn't know how to go about it. This is great, thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this has helped out! I was having the same problem trying to find a stand alone that help multiple necklaces and in my price range. Everything stood up nicely even with one of the bottom screws sticking out. It also let you be in control of the necklaces so no one could just snatch it up when you aren't looking (which doubtful anyone would do that but you never know now days.)Good luck with your event :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting and feel free to leave a comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...